AMMO WG Teleconference Minutes – 2 Dec 2020
On 2 December 2020, the Additive Manufacturing Maintenance Operations (AMMO) working group conducted a teleconference with over 60 participants. A summary follows:
Introduction: Greg Kilchenstein welcomed the group and stated that the draft AM Instruction is in formal coordination and is on schedule to be issued by late CY20 or early CY21. He noted the considerable effort that OSD(RE) have contributed to making this happen. He also stated that the final report on the virtual 2020 AM Workshop would be completed by the end of September.
CAMDEN Update – Mark Benedict (USAF) explained CAMDEN’s purpose as to deploy and demonstrate the value of a federated commonly accessible AM data lake for the broader materials community. It utilizes existing data payloads to show the benefits of good data management practice and encourages software providers to propose novel tools and approaches to exploit the CAMDEN datasets. Results with linked data include a graph with 110k nodes in place, extracted mechanical test and build parameters, process model enhancement, and the development of data aggregation and visualization. Next steps include incorporating new tools and methods in AI/ML, more data, and growing the community model of data sharing and cost efficiency.
America Makes Mx and Sustainment Advisory Group Update – Marilyn Gaska (LMCO) provided an update that included the following:
- Presented a slide from the feature presentation at the Annual Members Meeting Exchange in November from Dr. Tim Simpson (PSU). The slide is on the “AM Readiness Model” from an article “AM Readiness Scale” first introduced in Sep. You can view at the following link:
- A second slide showed how you can score yourself in the four areas. The file is editable.
- Updates and Upcoming events:
- The remanufacturing conference presentation is available
- There was an energy deposition close up look on 30 Oct
- December 9 Polymers in AM Panel
- December 10 – Virtual Mini TRX
- Deadlines for Rapid Innovation Fund Projects
- The next AMMSAG meeting is December 17th.
MxD Update – Mike Yucuis discussed MxD building a testbed to support DoD’s 5G strategy, promote technology development and host 5G demonstrations. The 5G vision includes enhanced mobile broadband, reliable and low latency communications, and massive machine type communications. Program goals include accelerate adoption of 5G as part of an integrated cybersecurity and workforce development framework, creating mechanisms that allow leveraging of the testbed, prepare and train the workforce for a 5G future, and engage with OSD and service level partners. He finished by describing some potential 5G use cases.
AM Policy Updates / Highlights – Kelly Visconti (PM2 Strategies in support of OSD(R&E))
- The DoD AM Strategy which states DoD vision and strategic goals is awaiting one signature, then will go to legal review. The goal is to make AM like any other manufacturing process.
- The policy document which covers the use of AM across the entire life cycle is through formal coordination and in legal review. Afterwards it goes to senior leadership for signature.
- The AM Guidebook that was also worked on during the AM Workshop is still a work in progress. We are pulling together resources to compile and draft, filling in the blanks following the AM workshop. We need standards, specifications, and policies from the Services. Feel free to contact Kelly Visconti with any information, comments, or suggestions. Her contact information is: firstname.lastname@example.org or Kelly.email@example.com .
The ensuing draft AM Guidebook will probably be a topic at the June 2021 DoD AM Workshop.
Maintenance Innovation Challenge (MIC) – Greg Kilchenstein presented a slide on how to attend the Dec 7th MIC Finalists Presentations. The briefings and results can be found at https://jteg.ncms.org/maintenance-innovation-challenge-finalists-presentations/ .
Next Meeting: – The next AMMO WG call is scheduled for 10:30-12:00 am (Eastern Time) on Wednesday, 2 December 2020.
POC for this action is Ray Langlais, LMI, firstname.lastname@example.org, (571) 633-8019
Mark Benedict (USAF) – CAMDEN Update
Q1. Is there any thoughts/plans to connect CAMDEN to JAMMEX in the future?
A1. Yes. Kind of a 2.0 is one of the ways we could do it. It may be a challenge since we are a small program competing with other programs for funding.
Q2. Is it envisioned that industry and academia would be connected to CAMDEN?
A2. Yes. I think we have reasonably good connectivity with a sufficient sampling.
Q3. Are you only collecting off-line data versus process data?
A3. Yes, most is off-line data.
Q4. Are you interested in other small businesses who’s expertise are in AI/ML search capabilities to your team?
A4. I can entertain follow-on discussions. At this stage we are seeking additional funding. May be an opportunity if people have funding.
Q5. Would it be appropriate for CAMDEN to connect cold spray data?
A5. Yes, I think we will eventually get there.
Marilyn Gaska (Lockheed Martin) – America Makes Mx & Sust Adv Grp Update
Mike Yucuis – MxD Update
Q1. Can you talk about the acceptance levels of the DoD for 5G when we have struggled to get Wi-Fi or ethernet available?
A1. It is something that we are very cognizant of. In addition to testing, we also pushing to ensure that policy follows along with it to enable us to do it. We have been working with policy personnel out there. Doing all we can within our PPP with the government.
Kelly Visconti (OSD-RE) – DOD AM Policy Update