On 3 August 2022, the Additive Manufacturing Maintenance Operations (AMMO) working group conducted a teleconference with approximately 55 participants. A summary follows:
Introduction: Mar Sharp (NCMS) welcomed the group, discussed administrative protocol, provided an overview of the agenda, and introduced Steve McKee (OSD-MR), who provided a brief overview.
Elem™ Additive, Navy Installations – John Erley, Xerox, provided a presentation on the Xerox Additive ElemX platform, which, in collaboration with the Naval Post Graduate School, was used to perform 3D printing onboard Navy ships using Navy personnel. The safe and deployable platform requires no machining for part removal, no resurfacing of the build plate after every build, minimal facility modifications, and minimal operator training. Advantages include improved lead time for spare parts, maximization of storage space, and managed inventory. The ElemX is currently installed on the USS Essex and has successfully printing tools and fixtures and will print parts during the RIMPAC exercises. The next step is to evaluate the material characteristics for parts printed at sea.
GoProto – “On Demand Custom Manufacturing” – Bryce Martel, GoProto described GoProto as a “one-stop-shop for all your rapid manufacturing needs…” Their capabilities include multi jet fusion, fused deposition modeling, stereolithography, urethane castings, CNC machining, and rapid tooling/molding. GoPronto is a qualified HP Digital Manufacturing Network partner and have conducted various “pay as you go” work for both DoD and NASA.
America Makes Mx and Sustainment Advisory Group (AMMSAG) Update – Marilyn Gaska (LMCO) provided an update that included the following:
- Since the JAMWG and AMMO WG combined to hold a full DoD AM Workshop out brief on 20 July, we conducted an abbreviated version of the AM Workshop out brief and featured a value stream workshop.
- Worked on updates to the AMMSAG charter.
- Upcoming America Makes events:
- 2 weeks from now is America Makes10th Anniversary.
- Live MMX Meeting at Youngstown, OH, Aug 16-18. Will recognize America Makes Anniversary Tuesday night. Agenda for Wed and Thursday is online.
- America Makes Project Calls (Available on Digital Storefront Website):
- 2022 Rapid Innovation Call – will seek to address immediate and readily actionable needs identified by America Makes members.
- Open Project Call – The goal for this project call is to create actionable focus areas to address the needs of the membership and its stakeholders.
- Generation of Additive Materials Allowables for Ti-6AI-4V (GAMAT) – focuses on a Laser Powder Feed Directed Energy Deposition (LPFDED) process-specific set of publicly available, statistically substantiated, bulk material property data with a corresponding material and process specification.
- Next AMMSAG meeting: No meeting in August since same week as MMX. Next meeting is Sep 15.
JAMWG Update – Brett Connor provided the following updates:
- On 20 July a joint session with the AMMO WG was conducted for the DoD AM Workshop out brief.
- JAMWG will take the accomplishments out for further action
- Derrick Lamm, Agile Inspection & Testing co-leader, will be performing a deeper dive with the Qualification 7 Certification Council.
- Th America Makes Open Project calls includes multiple JAMWG project areas.
- Members & non-members can attend the live MMX Meeting at Youngstown, OH, on Aug 16-18. Tracy Frost and Dr. Geist (OSD(R&E)), a Department of Energy representative, and NIST rep, are all scheduled to attend.
- We are pulling together usage data for AM in DoD.
Next Meeting: – The next AMMO WG call is scheduled for 10:30-12:00 am (Eastern Time) on Wednesday, 7 September 2022.
POC for this action is Ray Langlais, LMI, firstname.lastname@example.org, (571) 633-8019
Date(s) - 08/03/2022
10:30 AM - 12:00 PM