On 5 January 2022, the Additive Manufacturing Maintenance Operations (AMMO) working group conducted a teleconference with approximately 65 participants. A summary follows:
Introduction: Debbie Lilu (NCMS) welcomed the group, discussed administrative protocol, and provided an overview of the agenda.
Real Time Part Health Monitoring for AM – Niall O’Down, Additive Monitoring Systems, discussed the high cost of AM part rejection and the lost lead time, and presented a solution that uses an in-process monitoring solution to find defects earlier. Using provisionally patented hardware and software, the solution provides part qualification data and can save lead time, save cost, and develop AM parameters faster. Additive Monitoring Systems would like to develop contacts with DoD AM personnel to help with AM alignment to the DoD mission, improvements to the AM supply chain, and help reduce AM material costs.
Wire-Arc Additive Manufacturing (WAAM) Process – Aaron Birt, Solvis, described WAAM, their partnership approach, and several challenges encountered and resolved to include multi-material systems, high temperature steel replacement, high strength, high toughness steel, and CP Titanium. He then described real-time data monitoring and evaluation and how it could be utilized to help solve large format AM challenges.
JAMWG Update – Brett Connor, OSD(R&E), provided a review of JAMWG activities.
- In the process of analyzing Phase 2 data matrix series of questions.
- DoD Instruction 5000.93 “Use of Additive Manufacturing in the DoD” was published last year. The Services are developing implementation plans with a plan to present to the JDMC 1st week of June.
- We are working concerns from DLA about AM parts marking and ID.
- The next JAMWG meeting is January 19th. We will have an AM update on DoD-related activities.
- 14 January will be a presentation from Josh Kramer on education in the workforce.
America Makes Mx and Sustainment Advisory Group (AMMSAG) Update – Marilyn Gaska (LMCO) provided an update that included the following:
- Steve McKee spoke at the December AMMSAG meeting and endorsed collaboration with AMMO and training and the workforce.
- The meeting also focused on the Rapid Innovation Fund and “Best Practices for Additive Manufacturing Part Families Relating to Product”.
- Highlights from the AM MMX were presented.
- America Makes upcoming events:
- AM Membership Town Hall – 10 January
- Interested in event feedback from the Dec DMC.
- The next meeting is 20 January.
MxD Update – Federico Sciammarello (MxD) provided an MXD update.
- MxD secured $8.5M in 2021 Defense Appropriations legislation.
- Briefed work on accelerating 5G adoption in manufacturing.
- Provided details on the Paladin Howitzer Model Based Enterprise R&D demonstration
- Discussed strengthening the OIB/DIB supply chain.
AM Workshop – Debbie Lilu (NCMS) stated that the planning team was looking at conducting the annual DoD AM workshop on 28-29 June at the MxD site. Anyone interested in joining the planning team and/or suggesting workgroup topics can contact Debbie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next Meeting: – The next AMMO WG call is scheduled for 10:30-12:00 am (Eastern Time) on Wednesday, 2 February 2022.
POC for this action is Ray Langlais, LMI, email@example.com, (571) 633-8019
Date(s) - 01/05/2022
10:30 AM - 12:00 PM